Once again this year’s Clive Beattie will be an overnight-weekend affair, this time to WALHALLA and over the ANZAC weekend (though not impacting on the 25th itself).
Note: A rescue car service is NOT being provided. Ensure that you RACV Total Care or equivalent. Please refrain from wrecking another member’s weekend by asking them to help you out with a roadside repair!
Saturday 22nd April
- Meet at Doncaster Park and Ride; depart at 10.00 , heading through the Yarra Valley with a morning tea/coffee at Gladysdale Bakery in Yarra Junction.
- BYO Picnic lunch at Blue Rock Lake. (toilets, shelters, BBQs etc available).
- Proceed to Walhalla (about another hour and a quarter).
- Free afternoon and evening to explore Walhalla.
- Accommodation and dinner at the Star Hotel. We have booked out the entire hotel because it has only 12 double/twin rooms. Booking is therefore limited and on a first come, first served basis.We will maintain a waiting list. Apart from that, there is limited BnB accommodation in Walhalla for which members will have to make their own arrangements. The hotel can only take a small number beyond its guests for dinner.
- Explore Walhalla to taste. We recommend that you have a look at the town website to see the many things available and its fascinating history.
- Lunch pay as you go. A special price is being obtained from Café Witchery. Or you may go touring in the district.
- Head off home at your own pace. You could obviously stay on until Tuesday (just tell the hotel) but we didn’t want to impact on ANZAC Day with its commemorations.
- Equally, if you can’t escape the office on Monday nor “work from home” that day, you could start home after lunch on Sunday. If so, indicate that in the booking sheet. Price will be suitably adjusted
Attractions to consider
- Explore the village. This in itself is fascinating and easy. Free
- Walk a section of the Australian Alps Walking Track going from Walhalla to Canberra. Free
- Walk up to the historic cemetery behind the village and up further to the extraordinary cricket ground. Free
- Walk the Walhalla Goldfields rail trail Free
- Drive up to the Thompson Dam Free
- Take Walhalla Railway down back the gorge – an extraordinary engineering feat.
- Walhalla Railway & Goldfield
Go down the Long Tunnel Extended gold mine.
- All bookings must be made through the ALR website.
- In view of the limited numbers who can go, bookings cannot be cancelled after Monday 3rd April. (Cancellations and refunds after that on compassionate grounds will be solely at the discretion of the organisers.)
- A package price is offered. It includes
- accommodation and dinner on Saturday night.
- Breakfast and dinner and of course accommodation on Sunday.
- Breakfast on Monday.
- All accommodate is in two-person rooms: double or twin. If you are a single person but would be happy to share a twin, we suggest you phone around and/or contact either David Ozolins (0421 873 876) or John Brenan (0409 197 707) to see who else might be in the same position and happy to share with you.
Someone wanting a single room will have a reduced tariff but not just half price. Note: we have budgeted to cover only a limited number of single-person requests and may not be able to provide for requests beyond that.
- Members having to go home on Sunday will be given a reduced package price covering accommodation and dinner that night. This arrangement must be made in the original booking. A later request may not be able to be agreed to as both the hotel and Register have certain fixed costs to cover.
|Package||Number of||Monday departure||Sunday departure|
|Two person room package||$770||$630|
Booking via portal is essential – CLICK HERE